zoom

Classic Black Films from 1980s to 1990s

Here are my top seven Black Films that I consider classics from the 1980s to 1990s. Have you seen any of these? If so, what do you think? Please share some of your favorites.

soldiersstory.jpgA Soldier’s Story (1984) starring Howard E Rollins Jr, Adoplh Caesar, David Alan Grier, Robert Townsend Denzel Washington, Patti Labelle

purplerain.jpgPurple Rain (1984) starring Prince, Morris Day, Apollonia, Jerome Benton

thecolorpurple.jpgThe Color Purple (1985) starring Danny Glover, Whoopi Goldberg, Margaret Avery, Oprah Winfrey, Adolph Caesar

thefiveheartbeat.jpgThe Five Heartbeats (1991) starring Robert Townsend, Michael Wright, Leon, Harry J Lennix, Diahann Carroll

malcolmx.jpgMalcolm X (1992) starring Denzel Washington, Angela Bassett, Delroy Lindo, Spike Lee, Theresa Randle

rosewood.jpgRosewood (1997) starring Ving Rhames, Don Chadle, Esther Rolle, Elise Neal

evesbayou.jpgEve’s Bayou (1997) starring Samuel Jackson, Lynn Whitfield, Jurnee Smollett, Meagan Good

Related posts:

1. Classic Black Films from 1940s to 1970s
  2. Favorite Black Comedies
  3. Most Unforgettable Black Movie Love Scenes

13 Responses to “Classic Black Films from 1980s to 1990s”

1. don says:

Yes I’ve seen every last one of these great films.

My favorite? That’s a hard question. It’s hard to choose one…

since you asked, I’d have to say A Soldier’s Story. Because I watched it while in junior high school, and I wasn’t familiar with good acted movies with blacks playing leading roles.

2. Alesia says:

I love all these movies…Great list!!

3. I’ve seen them all, and The Five Heartbeats is my absolute favorite, with The Color Purple a close second. They are all wonderful movies.

4. Yep! All classics! :-) Out of all of them Eve’s Bayou is probably my favorite. It’s hard to pick.

Gwyneth

5. Meachy says:

I love Purple Rain, The Color Purple, The Five Heartbeats mos def…..lol Eve’s Bayou, Malcolm X was excellent, Rosewood…..hmmm you can’t watch that during Black History then go to work….the next day!!! LOL A Solider’s Story was good…..all good picks!!!

6. JC Martin says:

The Color Purple is my all time favorite. I’ve seen The Five Heartbeats, Malcolm X, and Eve’s Bayou. I’ve heard of the others but never felt inclined to watch them.

Save the Last Dance and Love and Basketball are two movies that I can really say I can watch more than five times and not be sick of them.

7. Lori says:

The Color Purple and A Solider’s Story would certainly be on my list. Not sure about Purple Rain . . . the music I love and still listen to, but the movie, not so much. I would add Do The Right Thing, Glory, To Sleep With Anger, Love Jones, and possibly Boomerang. Did Soul Food come out in the ’90s? If so, that would be on my list too (smile).

8. Shelia says:

Don, I feel you. A Soldier’s Story is an excellent story.

:) Alesia.

Renee, I’ve seen The Five Heartbeats so much I broke my tape. I need to purchase it on DVD.

Gwyneth, I want to see more movies like Eve’s Bayou. I wished they would have done a sequel.

Meachy, it is hard to watch movies like Rosewood and not be mad.

JC Martin, I like both Save the Last Dance and Love and Basketball, but I don’t consider them classics, but Love & Basketball is in my top 10 romance movies.

Lori, I’m a Prince fan so Purple Rain had to be in there…LOL

9. Five Heartbeats is one of my faves.

To add to the list, I’d include Boomerang (classically funny all Black cast). I can watch Boomerang over and over again.

10. Shelia says:

35%Off…Coming to America along with Boomerrang are my two favorite Eddie Murphy movies.

Opionated Diva…I can watch Boomerrang over & over again too.

It’s a classic movie watching weekend for me y’all. I hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

11. Howdy Expert, I fell lucky that I located this post while browsing for denzel washington movies. I am with you on the topic of Goss » Classic Black Films from 1980s to 1990s. Ironically, I was just putting a lot of thought into this last Wednesday.

comments-bottom

Featured Photos